The 2012 SBS KPOP SUPER CONCERT in America: What Popped and Did Not Pop
The opinions written in this article may not represent the views of KKonnect or most of the world.
It is 11:00 PM on an unusually chilly Southern California night. Tired,bemused, ears ringing from hysterical women screaming at possibly every musician on stage, and nestled in a warm blanket burrito (blanket burrito: being double wrapped in a blanket from your toes to your head), I shall try to comment on the SBS KPop Super Concert in Irvine.
- What Did Not Pop:
- Multiple delays of concert dates
- Lack of advertising.
- Pricing of tickets ($400.00 for premium seating)
- Not having any Korean food available at a KPOP concert
- The dismay of audience members who purchased orchestra seating when crowds of people who paid for $60.00 lawn seats were able to sit next to them
- What Popped:
- Organizing a stellar marquis of artists including: SISTAR,4MINUTE, BEAST, KARA, CNBLUE, 2NE1, GIRLS GENERATION
- Addition of KARMIN who performed respectable covers of American Pop Songs with passion and enthusiasm.
- Choosing a venue that is fair for both Los Angeles and San Diegan fans (Yes, I too can be biased), and located next to the large Irvine Spectrum Center Mall.
- The ebullience of audience members who had lawn seats and were given the opportunity to sit in $400.00 orchestra level seats.
- What Did not Pop:
- Poor emceeing. Conversations between artists in Korean left much of the audience perplexed. Californian Native Tiffany from SNSD was neither charismatic nor creative in emceeing the event with her colleagues, obviously reading from a script throughout the event.
- What Popped:
- Electric and flawless performances from all artists, truly displaying why they are the apex artists and consummate professionals in the KPop Genre. Each were excellent, but a few stood out:
- Not my cup of tea in terms of artists, but no other group received more adulation from the audience than this group. Lady folk apparently have an affinity towards boy bands for some reason.
- 2NE1 were master class in their performance, orchestrating fan interaction during songs, had backup dancers, showed unique dance moves, and did a shout-out to the audience.
It’s 11:45 now, Cartoon Network is transitioning from Adult Swim to Toonami, SNL is ending on NBC, and the temperature of the blanket burrito is just right…strained eyes shutting uncontrollably… time to go to sleep… entering dreamland…zzz
(Next Article “A Journey through Dreamland”….just kiddnig)