This workshop focuses on issues such as the concerns for mental health, helps hone writing skills and brings self awareness to social matters.
AAJA San Diego invites you to a journalism workshop to explore…
Mass Violence in America–Mental Health Matters
As recent events focus attention on the intersection between mental illness and gun violence, there’s a greater need for robust and accurate reporting on mental health. This workshop provides the latest skills and knowledge to produce accurate, thoughtful, and compelling news stories on mental health, recovery, and wellness in the community.
Using the new “mental illness” entry in the AP Stylebook as a starting point, the panel will:
• Analyze recent news coverage
• Offer tips and ideas for reporting on mental health
• Interact with audience members through news writing exercises
• Provide an overview of mental health in communities across the state
Join AAJA as we learn from a panel of professionals including:
- Dr. Michael Mantell, Behavioral Science Expert
- Melissa McCoy, Media Consultant for TeamUp and former L.A. Times Deputy Managing Editor
- Alfredo Aguirre, County Behavior Health Director
Saturday, June 8, 2013 | 10:00 a.m. – 12:00 p.m.
10News Studios- 4600 Air Way, San Diego, CA 92102
$5 for students, $10 for professionals, Free for AAJA Members (or those who sign up for membership at event)
10News and TeamUp